The Crypt of Leonardo
Discover the soul of the city at the Crypt of Leonardo the most ancient underground Church of Milan. The Crypt at San Sepolcro is located at Piazza San Sepolcro - just few steps from Piazza Duomo - under the ground floor, the access is at the right side of the Church and is open every day from 12.00 pm till 08.00 pm.
Individual visitors don't need reservation. For groups please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Ticket required is 10€, necessary for the great work of renovation of the Crypt. Children with parents have free access. Included with ticket an audio-guide in english is available.
Please consider the sacrednees of the place and make attention during the visit to the irregular floor (watch steps and drops).
scansione libro per cripta
The Map of Leonardo
THE HISTORY OF THE CRYPT
The Church was established in 1030 when Mr.Rozzone, a Milanese coins maker, erected on the remains of the ancient Roman forum a church that Archbishop Ariberto of Intimiano solemnly consecrated to the Holy Trinity. Its long history overlaps with that of the Crusades: after the reconquest of Jerusalem, Archbishop of Milan Anselm IV changed the dedication in “the Holy Sepulchre Church”, in memory of this extraordinary event, on July 15 1100. Indeed, from the time of its foundation, in the underground part of the church there was an exact copy of the tomb of Christ, made by a Campionese master of the early fourteenth century. According to tradition, it contains the land taken by the Crusaders from Jerusalem and other relics from the holy places.
Place of great sanctity, the crypt was chosen by St. Charles Borromeo as a personal place of prayer, where he went every Wednesday and Friday afternoon. He often spent entire nights in what he called “the training ground” of the Holy Spirit, in adoration of the tomb of Christ. For this reason, after his canonization, a polychrome terracotta statue of St. Charles was placed in front of the sarcophagus. In one of the niches, there is a large palm in painted copper, symbol of wisdom, originally conceived as a fountain and commissioned by Cardinal Federico Borromeo.
San Sepolcro is also a place of devotion to Mary Magdalene, who first, according to the Evangelist John, discovered the empty tomb and received the apparition of the Risen One on Easter morning. In a fresco of the left transept, now discoloured, she is depicted on the right of the triumphant Christ, with the body veiled with her long hair; while on the left we see a crowned woman, perhaps the Empress St. Helen, mother of Constantine, who found on the Mount Calvary the true cross of the Lord. The crypt also allows visitors to get in touch with one of the oldest testimonies of the city’s history. The flooring in fact, made up of large slabs of white ‘Verona stone’, comes from the pavement of the ancient Roman forum of the fourth century, the main square of the Roman civitas and centre of the major civil and religious activities.